Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Effects of Climate Change on Agriculture

Before this presentation from Dr. Karowe, I had no knowledge of Global Warming.  I still lack knowledge of this topic and would like to know more about it.  I am summarizing his presentation as how I interpreted it and what I took away from the information.  So as we know, about 450 million of the world's poorest people depend on agriculture.  There are about 1.02 billion hungry people worldwide...that is a lot of hungry people.  It's sad to know that these hungry people depend on agriculture when sometimes these crops are ruined from the climate change.  Most of the crops vary from wheat, rice and corn which often has decreased yields due to many factors.
- Increased temperatures
- Increased droughts
- Increased flooding
- Decreased nutrition
- Decreased water for irrigation
- Increased pests.
These are all factors that decreases the amount of crops that are grown each year.  This effects farmers who can't grow their crops and will eventually lose money because they can't sell enough.

I feel like this is a huge cycle that comes full circle.  Each action affects the next action which can be good or bad.  There is so much we can do as students in our generation but I don't know where to start.  I wish I knew more about climate change and global warming.

3 comments:

  1. Going into this presentation, I knew very little about global warming. After the presentation, I feel much more informed, but like you, I wish I knew even more. It's a scary reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad that this is affecting peoples careers, like farmers. Hopefully we will be able to change this aspect of the Earth very soon!

    ReplyDelete