Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Jungle


After reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, I had many mixed emotions.  I was a little confused because I don't comprehend as well when I read text online.  But from what I read, every little thing was so disturbing.  In chapter 3, all of the job names were explained.  There were "cleaver men" who chopped the whole animal and needed two other men to assist him.  There was a "knocker" who killed with a sledge hammer.  There was a "floorsman" who made the first cut to the skin.  When I was reading this, an image was created in my mind that I didn't want to see.  I felt so bad for Jurgis because he had no clue what his job was going to be.  He was just excited that he got a job to start making money.  Another thing I found fascinating was that the workers used every part of the hog to make something.  With the leftover parts they couldn't use, they turned it into fertilizer.  I don't do well with guts and blood so I'm a little scared to go to the slaughterhouse on Friday.  But I want to see what it's like because i've been wondering all this time of what a slaughterhouse actually is.

3 comments:

  1. I want to see what a slaughterhouse is like, but at the same time I do not think I would enjoy seeing what they do animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant imagine being the guy who goes around and hits the cows on the head with a sledge hammer. Although I think I might prefer it over some of the other jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the chapter that described what each job consisted of and how they cut the animals was disturbing. It makes me nervous to ever visit a slaughterhouse.

    ReplyDelete